Americans will be grappling with a number of sensitive and critical issues throughout 2013 and beyond. Some new, some old and some never-ending – concerns about race, religion, violence, politics, guns, climate change, war and civic responsibility are just some of the issues that may polarize all or segments of the nation. We The People will bring awareness to different viewpoints in the hopes of educating its readership. Please be encouraged to join in and share your perspective.
On this Day
June 30, 1917 Lena Mary Calhoun Horne an African American singer, actress, civil rights activist and dancer was born in the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY. Horne was reported to be descended from the John C. Calhoun family, both sides of her family were a mixture of European American, Native American, and African-American descent, and belonged to the upper stratum of middle-class, well-educated blacks. (Source: Wikipedia).
- Harlem’s Hazel Scott And Lena Horne, 1940′s (harlemworldmag.com)
- Lena Horne: My First Time Watching Stormy Weather (streetcornerprophet.com)
- Bamboozled (nikkiking19.wordpress.com)
- Legendary Singer & Actress Lena Horne Dies At The Age Of 92 (djpunchtv.wordpress.com)
- “Stormy Weather” Along the Way (ileneonwords.com)